Unexpected system error

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Hi,

I'm getting an "Unexpected system error." exception when calling InitializeForBackup. I'm running 64 bit Vista and the application is compiled for x86. The dll loaded is the AlphaVSS.Win2008.x86.dll. Is this the same old error as others have reported earlier?

The below sample will trigger it - if the app set to be compiled for x86.

static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            IVssBackupComponents backupComp = null;
            try
            {
                IVssImplementation VssImpl = VssUtils.LoadImplementation();
                backupComp = VssImpl.CreateVssBackupComponents();
                backupComp.InitializeForBackup(null);
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                string msg = ex.Message;
            }
            finally
            {
                if (backupComp != null)
                    backupComp.Dispose();
            }
        }

P.s. What is the chance of getting a production version any time soon?

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM

My guess is that Wow32 (running x86 application on x64 platform) is not supported as mentioned on MSDN if I am not mistaken. On x64 platform you should link against the 64-bit version of the VSS library.

What is the chance of getting a production version any time soon you wonder? Well, good question actually, since it has been Beta for quite some time, and if I'm not mistaken just about nothing has happened to the library since then.There is currently one open issue, and two minor impact tasks (verifying documentation and creating sample applications) for version 1.0 final.  I was hoping to get some bugs fixed from the beta to the final, but either there aren't any (yeah right ;) or they haven't been discovered.

If I were to release a final version today the only change from the beta would likely be minor alterations to the documentation and perhaps some improved samples. So I'd say the library probably is of production quality, and maybe the final should be released just to signify this.

Then of course support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 could be added, but that is more like something to do for the next version.

But I will try to get a final released pretty soon, but don't expect any major changes (or much changes at all) from the current beta though.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, too bad, though. It would have been easier to just ship one version which would run on both x86 and x64. :-) I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896492

I think it would be great with a final version (and it would be great signal to send to your users. ;-) ). Though we may like our software to be totally bug free when releasing final versions, it rarely happens when it comes to reality. :-) Of course it is up to you, when you think the quality is where you want it.

It would be nice with Windows 7 and Server 2008 support as well, but I think it will be just fine to add this in a later release.

Just my two cents...