Visual C++ Runtimes

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:00 AM
Hi,

All is going well using AlphaVSS. I just have a quick question as the the dependency to have the Visual C++ Runtimes installed on the target machine.

Is there a way to avoid this ? Its not a big issue but you know the users, they query every little extra that has to be installed.

Cheers.
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Quite honestly I don't know.  For some reason I haven't thought about what those runtimes actually provide, but they seem to be required by most software from microsoft these days anyway, so chances are they are already installed.
If I find the time I will look into what they are used for and if there may be a way to avoid them. If you find anything out on your end before that, please let me know since this is actually an interesting question that I haven't thought about before.
 Regards, Peter
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:38 AM
Hi,

Dont stress too much about removing the dependency. After some research I've found I can just include two Merge Modules in my deployment file, these are
  1. “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Merge Modules\Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm” and
  2. “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Merge Modules\policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm”,

Previously (as directed on many websites) I was forcing the user install the VC REDIST.exe as a separate step to the main install, whoch worked -- but it was ugly.

This is an interesting article on the topic.
http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/10/12/how-to-redistribute-the-visual-c-libraries-with-your-application.aspx