GetWriterStatus fails on Windows Server 2008

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hello,

I wrote a small backup application that uses the AlphaVSS 1.1 and it works great on almost any operating system, including Windows Server 2008 R2. Only on Windows Server 2008 x64 (not R2) I always get the Exception:

Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.UnsupportedOperatingSystemException: The requested operation is not supported on the current operating system.
   bei Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.RequireIVssBackupComponentsEx3()
   bei Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.WriterStatusList.get_Item(Int32 index)

This happens with any writer I try to use. Everything else (initializing backup, setting up backup status, setting up writers, etc.) works perfectly. Has anyone an idea why that happens?

Thanks,

Paul

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply. This may be a bug that is fixed in the latest sources, so I would like you to try those first if possible, and if the problem persists if you could provide a minimal code sample that reproduces this problem.

If you don't want to download the source and build it, the 1.1.4000 release should be out in a day or two so you could download the binaries directly instead.

Regards, Peter.

May 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hello Peter,

I get the same exception than Paul, on Windows 2008 SBS SP2 64bits servers :

debug: Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.UnsupportedOperatingSystemException: The requested
operation is not supported on the current operating system.
   at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.RequireIVssBackupComponentsEx3()
   at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.WriterStatusList.get_Item(Int32
index)

Error encountered with AlphaVSS-1.1.4000.2/.NET3.5/VB2008 and AlphaVSS-1.2.4000.2/.NET4.0/VB2010
(Whereas it is ok with the previous AlphaVSS 1.0...)

Is there a solution for this problem ?
Best regards,
McGyver

May 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Maybe the problem is with "ALPHAVSS_TARGET_WINVISTAORLATER" in the source code, which is not adapted to Windows 2008 SBS... ?

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Hello Decaf,

Tell me if you need a code sample to reproduce this problem on 2008 SBS !

Best regards

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Well, a minimal code sample that reproduces the problem is always helpful. Unfortunately what would be most helpful right now is if you could also get me some free time so I can look into this and fix it! ;)

Anyway, if you have a small code sample, it would be helpful if you'd provide it, and I'll try to get some time to look at this as soon as possible.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.