AlphaVSS DLLs

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I would reiley like to use this project, but I have been unable to get the source to compile and run properly. I am running Win 7 x64, and would want to use it on Win 2008 and possibly Win 2003, but I can't get it compiled... Is there any way that you could also upload the compiled DLLs? or give some instruction on how to get it compiled and running properly?

Thank you!

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

This is where I am at now. I first had to create my own .snk file to get around strong name errors, I was then able to get it to compile with the Win2003.Debug profile, but recieved an OS not supported error, so I changed it to the Win2008.Debug profile and it won't compile.

First issue:

Error 1 error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'hdr' C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include\prsht.h 666 1 AlphaVSS.Platform
Error 2 error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include\prsht.h 666 1 AlphaVSS.Platform

//prsht.h
typedef struct _PSHNOTIFY
{
    NMHDR hdr; // Both errors are for this line
    LPARAM lParam;
} PSHNOTIFY, *LPPSHNOTIFY;

Second Issue:

Error 5 error C2065: 'VSS_VOLUME_PROTECTION_INFO' : undeclared identifier \alphavss\development\source\alphavss.platform\include\FactoryMethods.h 41 1 AlphaVSS.Platform
Error 6 error C2065: 'info' : undeclared identifier \alphavss\development\source\alphavss.platform\include\FactoryMethods.h 41 1 AlphaVSS.Platform
Error 7 error C3145: 'CreateVssVolumeProtectionInfo' : global or static variable may not have managed type 'Alphaleonis::Win32::Vss::VssVolumeProtectionInfo ^' \alphavss\development\source\alphavss.platform\include\FactoryMethods.h 41 1 AlphaVSS.Platform
Error 8 error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation \alphavss\development\source\alphavss.platform\include\FactoryMethods.h 41 1 AlphaVSS.Platform

//FactoryMethods.h
#ifdef ALPHAVSS_HAS_DIFFERENTIALSOFTWARESNAPSHOTMGMT3
   VssVolumeProtectionInfo^ CreateVssVolumeProtectionInfo(VSS_VOLUME_PROTECTION_INFO *info);
#endif
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Did you look at the documentation on http://alphavss.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Building%20AlphaVSS%20from%20Source&ProjectName=alphavss?

Getting all the platforms to build is a bit of a hassle really, but the documentation on this page should provide enough information to get most of the way I think.

The compiled DLL's are available in the binary distribution, are they not?

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

No, I had not seen that doccument (I will try the steps found there), and are you referring to the DLLs in the 1.0 beta download? Yes they are there, but I need Win 7 support and that appears to only be in the source code at this point...

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Ok, so I installed Windows SDK 6.1 and now I am getting tons of errors. I think I am going to give up trying to compile this on my own... C++ is not my strong point....

Thanks for the help

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, the document I linked to is not up to date for compiling using the new Visual Studio 2010 solution unfortunately.

I will however try to make available a beta binary download of the upcoming version as soon as possible.

May 17, 2011 at 6:22 AM

I got this to work eventually. You need Visual Studio 2008 with full C++ features, Visual Studio 2010 and Windows SDK 7.0 instead of 6.1. Run Windows SDK Registration Tool to register the SDK with Visual Studio 2008 and then build the solution using Visual Studio 2010. This will allow you to build the Win2008 configuration. For Win2003 and WinXP you need to download the VSS SDK.

You might need to install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 as well, not sure. I have it on my machine.