Missing VSS Interfaces

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM
Hi,
First I'd like to say that you're doing a great job.It's really a shame that Microsoft did not supply .NET bindings for VSS, its great to see open source community filling the void.
Thanks for that.

Now to a more specific stuff, I am interested in VSS .NET bindings for HW VSS Provider development.

AlphaVSS seem to be missing VSS HW Provider classes(  ).
Is this in scope of the current project?
What are the plans for inclusion of VSS HW Provider classes?

Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM
First off, let me thank you for your encouraging words. It is always nice to hear that ones work is appreciated.

As for your question, the HW provider classes were not originally planned for version 1.0.  This was for two reasons, namely that I personally don't need them and I didn't think there would be much interest in them from the community either, and secondly because I really don't know much about the hardware provider stuff at all.

However, if there is interest for this I may of course reconsider this. It would definately fit nicely into the project to provide support for providers (and possibly also writers), if these can indeed be written successfully from managed .NET.

But I would really have problems doing this development on my own because I don't know enough about providers and wouldn't know how to test the functionality either. But if someone is willing to help out with the development and testing mainly, I would enjoy adding this functionality as well. So how much extra time do you have on your hands? ;)

Sincerely, Peter
Jan 18, 2009 at 1:19 PM
Hmm, unfortunately I dont have too much extra time these days ...:( ,
However I will see what I can contribute within the time constraints.

Regards.
- Jacob
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM
So may I ask what it is you are going to implement? And what role the VSS Hardware provider interfaces play there?
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Sure,
I currently have VSS Hardware provider which I would like to port to C# (for obvious reasons :) ) .
I'd like to (time permitting) to implement the missing interfaces/classes/etc.. 
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Alright, that sounds really good. If you want I can include you as a developer in the project so that you will have write access to the repository and full access to the issue tracker and so on. It would be greatly appreciated if you were able to assist in providing these features as my time too is a little bit limited. But I will do what I can to help of course!  Just let me know, either here or send me a mail.