This project is read-only.

GetWriterStatus fails on Windows Server 2008

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hello,

I wrote a small backup application that uses the AlphaVSS 1.1 and it works great on almost any operating system, including Windows Server 2008 R2. Only on Windows Server 2008 x64 (not R2) I always get the Exception:

Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.UnsupportedOperatingSystemException: The requested operation is not supported on the current operating system.
   bei Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.RequireIVssBackupComponentsEx3()
   bei Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.WriterStatusList.get_Item(Int32 index)

This happens with any writer I try to use. Everything else (initializing backup, setting up backup status, setting up writers, etc.) works perfectly. Has anyone an idea why that happens?

Thanks,

Paul

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply. This may be a bug that is fixed in the latest sources, so I would like you to try those first if possible, and if the problem persists if you could provide a minimal code sample that reproduces this problem.

If you don't want to download the source and build it, the 1.1.4000 release should be out in a day or two so you could download the binaries directly instead.

Regards, Peter.

May 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hello Peter,

I get the same exception than Paul, on Windows 2008 SBS SP2 64bits servers :

debug: Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.UnsupportedOperatingSystemException: The requested
operation is not supported on the current operating system.
   at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.RequireIVssBackupComponentsEx3()
   at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.WriterStatusList.get_Item(Int32
index)

Error encountered with AlphaVSS-1.1.4000.2/.NET3.5/VB2008 and AlphaVSS-1.2.4000.2/.NET4.0/VB2010
(Whereas it is ok with the previous AlphaVSS 1.0...)

Is there a solution for this problem ?
Best regards,
McGyver

May 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Maybe the problem is with "ALPHAVSS_TARGET_WINVISTAORLATER" in the source code, which is not adapted to Windows 2008 SBS... ?

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Hello Decaf,

Tell me if you need a code sample to reproduce this problem on 2008 SBS !

Best regards

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Well, a minimal code sample that reproduces the problem is always helpful. Unfortunately what would be most helpful right now is if you could also get me some free time so I can look into this and fix it! ;)

Anyway, if you have a small code sample, it would be helpful if you'd provide it, and I'll try to get some time to look at this as soon as possible.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.